Sunday, May 15, 2005

Battling with the Monster

When I initially started this blog, I imagined a canvas for me to share my daily experiences with finding the positive side of situations, particularly those that were less than favourable. However, whenever I come to it, I am stumped to draw out ones I feel are worth posting. It's reality dawning on me that perhaps this persistent optimism is not as easy to relay! Even though I practice it religiously!

But it brings me to think about the world we live in. Pessimism is regarded as an embracing of reality and optimism is frowned upon as naivete. It's no wonder that misery has reached pandemic proportions globally! We should really take a good look at ourselves and figure out why we hate ourselves so much — because that is what we express when we see no positivity in our world.

I watched a movie a few months ago with a friend. The movie was a celebration of optimism and hope and while I came out of it feeling very light and encouraged, he came out of it disappointed that it had a happy ending! As we talked we started questioning film criticism and how it is often the dark pessimistic films that are heralded. Skepticism abounds when people are happy. Even in day to day life, how often do we doubtingly frown at people who claim to be content? We seriously need to check this condition because it is in no way constructive to our own or other's growth and progress.

3 Comments:

Blogger www.kenyaunlimited.com said...

Welcome to the Kenyan Blogs Webring! We look forward to reading your blog.

3:56 AM  
Blogger WM said...

I was going to write something just along the lines of your posting before this one. Sometimes you have to be unhappy to know how to be happy. And sometimes the unhappy ending is a moment of freedom..unchaining you from that story and allowing you to begin the next. So perhaps it isn't so bad to feel bad...

12:34 PM  
Blogger kishawi said...

I like the unchaining argument…
Seen "A Very Long Engagement"?

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home